So you minted an NFT — great! But what do you do next? You need a watertight promotion strategy to help you grow your reach and popularity, and ultimately grow a community.
NFT promotion is a big, important question that most of our clients deal with. This article is based on their experiences and recommendations. (At SlashAuth, we help secure NFT communities with web3 auth.)
Let’s look at the best ways to promote your NFT.
How to promote Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs)
Here’s an inconvenient truth: investors and collectors with an eye for great NFTs, don’t all hang out in the same place. There’s no single secret Discord room, OpenSea listing hack, or NFT influencer that can get you in front of the right audience. You have to get creative to find them.
Then there’s the other part: with so much hype and excitement around the space, an effective NFT promotion strategy has to show people why they should care. To help you put yours together, let’s take a look at the hottest NFT promotion ideas around.
Planning your winning NFT promotion strategy
The first step in planning your promotion strategy is determining your budget in terms of money and time. How much cash and hours do you have to invest in NFT promotion? Once you’ve decided this, you can figure out how to best deploy your resources for maximum impact.
If you have more money than time, you can run paid ad campaigns, work with select influencers, or hire an agency to run the whole thing for you. If you have more time than money, you can take the grassroots approach and build awareness through guerilla marketing campaigns on social media. Or if you have a bit of time and a bit of cash, you can take the hybrid road.
Setting the groundwork for an unforgettable free NFT promotion
With a bit of time, hard work, and a smart strategy, the best things in life can be free. An effective free NFT promotion strategy relies on building up your social media presence and influence. You can do this through your private account, by building up a dedicated NFT account, or a mix of both. Each channel needs a slightly different approach but we’ll touch on that in a bit. First, let’s talk about ads.
How to run an effective paid NFT promotion
If you do have some budget to spend, paid NFT promotions can help you get the news out there. Fast. But how do you make sure you’re not just throwing money at the internet? It all starts with hiring the right people.
How to hire the right NFT promotion agency for you
Hiring a marketing agency for a traditional business is hard. Hiring an NFT promotion agency is even harder. You’ve got influencer-focused agencies like NeoReach, community-focused ones like OmniDigital, and everyone in between.
Choosing the right one starts with defining your goals. Before you approach any agency, set an internal budget and answer the following questions:
- What does campaign success look like? Figure out the basic Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) you’ll track for this campaign.
- What’s your per-day ad spend? Outside of the agency fee, set a daily (or weekly) ad budget for the length of your campaign. This will come in useful for asking different agencies what they think they’ll be able to do with this budget.
- What channels show the highest ROI for NFTs like yours? This one will take a bit of research but it’s worth it. Ask agencies, other NFT creators, and NFT buyers about their go-to channels so you can hone your focus.
After you have your answers, make a short list of agencies that deliver results in this space. Take a look at their track record:
- What brands have they worked with?
- How did their last 3-5 campaigns perform?
- What’s their strategy based on?
Once you’re satisfied they’ve got what it takes, book a strategy call so you can meet the team and figure out if you’re right for each other.
If hiring a full-blown agency isn’t on the cards for you yet, let’s talk about some effective (and free!) NFT promotion methods you can use.
Where to promote your NFTs for free
If you don’t have a huge budget, don’t worry — you can still get your NFT into the hands of the right people. It will just take a bit of social media marketing magic. (And no. You don’t have to be an expert or have a huge following to get this right.)
How to promote NFTs on Instagram without putting people off
Between Instagram Stories, videos, and standard posts, Instagram gives you a lot of flexibility. If you’re new to Insta, and you’re not sure how to promote your NFT, you need to start with the basics: a killer bio, a link that directs to your NFT, and a list of great hashtags. And if you don’t have a business account yet, set one up. This will help you promote your NFT on two fronts.
Next, you need to build a strategy. NFTs are a hot topic—but they’re also confusing. People don’t know who or what to trust. That’s why, if you want to stand out and last, your strategy needs to include more than promo posts. Experiment with:
- Behind-the-scenes Instagram Stories. Share the story behind your NFT: why you made it, why it matters, and what utility it has. Tease future projects your team is working on and talk about your roadmap.
- Showing off the work of people in your community. Talk about complementary projects or highlight cool stuff current NFT owners are doing. This will help build your credibility and community at the same time. (Just make sure you have the right permissions, of course.)
How to promote your NFTs on OpenSea
Listing your NFT on OpenSea is a rite of passage. The listing itself is part promo: it makes you discoverable to people actively searching for the next great NFT. You can sell your NFT here directly for a set price or you can sell via auction. Getting started is easy — you just need to decide how to list and what fees to set.
How to promote NFTs on Twitter the right way
Twitter is (still) one of the best places to connect with other creators and build your authority in the space. If you’re still wondering how to promote your NFT, this is where you can show it off, talk about its utility, and share your opinions at the same time.
Start by following other creators and engage with their posts. After a bit of back-n-forth, get involved in Twitter chats. Don’t be shy: share your thoughts on the future of the market, engage with other users, and—where appropriate—talk about your NFT’s appeal and functionality.
How to promote NFTs on Discord
Community building is a huge part of effective NFT promotion—especially if your NFT has a membership or special access utility. Discord is one of the best places to grow and develop that community. Start by setting up your NFT server and inviting any current owners or people on your shortlist. This community should become the go-to place for your NFT discussions. But don’t just hang out in your rooms—join other communities so you can develop partnerships with the people there.
How to promote an NFT on Reddit without getting kicked out
Worried your lack of following on Instagram, Twitter or TikTok will hold your promotion efforts back? This is where Reddit can ride to the rescue. Start by joining—and becoming active—in the subreddit for the blockchain you’re minting on. Next, get familiar with the code of conduct: rules on promotion can be pretty strict so focus on delivering value. And make sure you connect your handle to your other social media channels so people can find you.
How to promote an NFT on TikTok without being like everyone else
If you’re not promoting on TikTok, you should be. The algorithm here makes it easier for people to stumble on your content through their ‘For You’ page than more ‘mature’ social media platforms. Plus, the audience is heavily weighted toward demographics that invest in and collect NFTs.
To succeed, use a mix of content including:
- Personal videos about your experience with NFTs and NFT creation. Share your story—the good, the challenging, and the interesting.
- Educational videos about the industry. Don’t just focus on what you do. Show people you’re also there for the community at large by sharing your know-how.
- Story-style videos about the utility of your NFT. Show off different use cases. Or, if you haven’t built in utility yet, talk about your roadmap.
- Video stitches. Join the conversation that’s already happening on the platform—stitch creators talking about similar things. You can record react videos, or simply give your opinion. This will help you get in front of much larger audiences.
An NFT promotion strategy that works for you
There’s no magic ‘this will work every single time’ guide to NFT promotion—if there was, you’d be using it already. The key is to experiment with different channels and content styles until you find something that works for you. When you find it, double down on it.
But before you start promoting, make sure everything you build is secure (so your new NFT community won’t hate you later). SlashAuth makes that quick and easy. Secure your web3 community with SlashAuth.